Melissa Onyango-Robshaw - Committee Chairperson
Current Focus Areas
Chance To Learn: school provides opportunities for all students to achieve academic success
- Measure 1: identify culturally relevant curriculum
- Measure 2: teacher high expectations for all students
- Measure 3: teacher training in equity
Fair Discipline: students of color are not disproportionately disciplined
- Measure 1:staff members are trained in cultural competence
- Measure 2: conflict resolution focuses on restorative practices
- Measure 3: data collection
1. Write mission statement.
2. Develop plan for parent and student involvement.
3. Develop reporting details and how to better pull discipline reports.
4. Provide three lesson plans for each grade band for the quarterly theme.
1. Notify stakeholders of the committee goals through Newsletter and Website.
2. Have a teacher training demonstrating how to talk about race in the classroom using circles.
3. Get 3 lesson plans for each grade band for the quarter theme.
1. Determine next steps with community stakeholders.
2. Review discipline data to date.
3. Lead three sessions of staff development for teaching staff.
1. Coordinate with student leadership group work
2. Get three lessons for the quarterly theme.
Cyber Village Academy is working in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) to implement restorative practices into our school community and culture. The concept of restorative practices has been around for thousands of years and is used commonly by indigenous communities as a way to build relationships, strengthen communities and resolve conflicts. There is limited research as to the effects of restorative practices in schools but the preliminary data shows that restorative practices are a promising tool for building relationships and as an alternative to more traditional consequences for misbehavior. CVA is fortunate to be partnered with MDE as a pilot school and is sharing data we collect with the state to help inform the use of restorative practices by other schools.
Here are some resources to learn more about restorative practices in schools: